Millions of users now rely on Gmail for their personal email needs, in some cases even in a professional context. Gmail has been in beta for quite a while now but don’t worry, this is a rock solid service. Great web based access, over 2gig of free storage, all the features you might need such as spell checker, html body, auto draft backup…
When using email on your blackberry the whole point is to ensure your email is always synced, this way if you send a mail from your Blackberry the mail that was sent will be available via webmail or any other media you use to connect. This is my step by step to IMAP and enable seamless syncronisation between your Blackberry and Gmail Account.
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP.
- Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.Note: While setup instructions are provided below, Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time.
Step2: set up the BlackBerry’s email client with Google Apps email (IMAP):
- On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen
- Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
- Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
- Be sure to enter the following:
- Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
- Username: [your full Google Apps email address]
- Password: [your Google Apps password]
- IMAP Port: 993
- Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)
- Select Next
- Select Next again (bypassing the ‘Additional Information Required’ section)
- Select your account type, then select Next
You may encounter a ‘We were unable to configure…’ error. Select I will provide the settings to continue
- Select the option that mentions ‘IMAP/POP’
- Select I will provide the settings…, then select Next
- Select Set up existing email account…
- Enter your Google Apps account information here, with ‘imap.gmail.com’ as your mail server
- Select Next
- Select Save
If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device’s home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.
If you encounter a problem during setup, Step1: Enable IMAP on your Gmail account: