Microsoft Hyper-V Server (HVS) 2008 is a hypervisor solution that is based on Windows Server 2008 and Hyper-V. Unlike Windows Server 2008 which supports the installation of many different roles, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is standalone virtualization software that does not support any additional roles.
The installation of Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 will be very familiar to those of you who have installed a Windows Server 2008 edition because it uses a similar wizard-driven installation. Here are the steps you must follow to install Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008.
- Insert the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 installation CD into your server drive.
- Power-up the server and boot from the CD.
- Select the appropriate language in the main installation dialog.
- Select the installation language, time and currency format, and the keyboard and input language, and then click Next.
- To begin the installation, click Install Now
- Review the license terms, select I accept the license terms if you agree to them, and then click Next
- Click the Custom installation button. The Upgrade option is disabled because Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 does not support upgrading from another version of Windows.
- Select a disk and partition to install Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008, and then click Next to continue.
- The automated installation process begins.
- After the installation process completes, a logon screen will display.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 Logon ScreenWhen you log on for the first time, you may be required to change the local administrator password. After log on, a command line configuration tool automatically launches to allow you to modify the default system settings.
Hyper V can be dowloaded here